New Look & Water Resistant Bag Available in 2018
Long Lasting Durability
Stronger Set Up
One Sand Does It All
Expert Technical Support
POLYSWEEP IS ‘RCS’ FREE
Testing by an OSHA certified laboratory has determined that as supplied, PolySweep does not contain quantifiable amounts of RCS (Respirable Crystalline Silica). However, care must be taken by the user not to subject this product to high-energy operations like drilling, sawing, grinding, crushing, etc. which could create RCS that may exceed a permissible exposure limit (PEL).
Please consult our Technical Bulletin in the ‘Helpful Information’ section below and/or OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1926.1153 for further recommendations and requirements.
Every interlocking pavement system requires the installation of joint sand to minimize paver movement, promote safety and provide an aesthetically pleasing look. Installing PolySweep Polymeric Sand and activating with water will provide you with hardened sand within the pavement joints which helps to reduce sand washout, inhibit weed growth and protect against insect infestation.
SEK-Surebond introduced PolySweep in 2008 due to inconsistent performance of some brands of polymeric sand in the marketplace at that time. PolySweep is made with advanced Clear Set Technology which includes using native sands and the highest quality, clearest synthetic polymers. PolySweep’s formula also contains NO Portland Cement. That means, PolySweep will never leave a haze behind on the surface, and that’s a guarantee.
Field proven and time tested, PolySweep’s Superior Strength formula offers long lasting durability. Testing indicates that PolySweep performs better than the competition and offers superior cohesion and adhesion as well as the fastest set up. Put your trust in PolySweep, the polymeric sand that helps you get Joint Stabilization Done Right.
One Sand Does It All
Residential & Commercial Applications:
Driveways, Walkways, Patios, Pool Decks & Concrete Overlays
Concrete & Clay Pavers • Natural Stone • Cast Stone • Porcelain Tile
Click below to open up the tab to reveal more information.
PolySweep & X-Treme Wide Joint Helpful Information
Both Polysweep Polymeric Sand and X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep are designed for concrete and clay pavers, natural stone, cast stone, and porcelain tile. It can be used in residential and commercial applications: driveways, walkways, patios, pool decks and concrete overlays.
PolySweep & X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep are a blend of native sands conforming to the ASTM C-144 standard, and polymer binders that once activated allow the joints to expand and contract with the elements such as extreme heat/cold and freeze/thaw cycles. Specially formulated with Clear Set Technology® which uses the highest quality, clearest synthetic polymers, PolySweep & X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep will not discolor the surface or leave behind a haze.
Polysweep is recommended for joints up to 3/4” (max), 1” is acceptable where pavers intersect. X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep is specially formulated for joints ranging up to 4″.
For best performance, install PolySweep or X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep with a minimum depth of 1.5”. Both products prevent sand erosion from the pavement joints caused by rain and other water run-off, deters weed growth and insect infestation plus reduces overall pavement maintenance. Both products are designed to expand and contract during freeze/thaw cycles and remain flexible to resist cracking.
PolySweep Available Colors: Tan, Gray & Platinum
X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep Available Colors: Russet Brown, Gray & Platinum
Platinum is available in most but not all of the U.S.
RCS – Respirable Crystalline Silica Technical Bulletin
PolySweep & X-treme Wide Joint Brochure
PolySweep Technical Data Sheet
- Prior to installation of Polysweep, make sure pavement joints and surface are completely dry AND there is no rain forecasted for at least 12 hours after installation. Polysweep needs to surpass the set up threshold before getting rained on. If there is a possibility of rain shortly after installation, cover project with a tarp. Remove tarp as soon as threat of rain is gone.
- PolySweep should be installed when the average ambient air temperature is above 35 degrees for a minimum of 48 hours after installation.
- Always wear personal protection equipment: eyewear and respirator.
- PolySweep is designed to work best when following ICPI recommended best practices for base installation. Concrete pavers, slabs and natural stone should have ¾” modified stone base and concrete sand setting bed that conforms to ASTM-C33. See instructions below when using PolySweep on a concrete overlay.
- Distribute PolySweep evenly across surface. Sweep sand into joints until full, being careful not to push product over long distances on the surface. (1.5” min depth when using PolySweep, 1.25” min depth when using X-Treme Wide Joint). After joints are filled, sweep excess product from the surface.
- For Concrete Pavers: Run vibratory compactor over the pavement to allow the vibrations to consolidate sand particles into the joints and reduce voids. For Cast Stone or Natural Stone: Use a vibratory rubber roller tamper or a rubber hammer and a piece of wood (2” x 4”).
- Sweep additional sand into the joints if necessary so that the height of the sand is approximately 1/8” below the pavement surface. (Do not overfill joints.) Remove excess product from the surface. Repeat compaction.
- After joints are filled, sweep surface with broom and then use a leaf blower held on slight angle but close to parallel to surface to remove any excess sand/dust from the top of surface. Take care not to remove any sand from joints.
- Using a hose, gently mist the pavement no greater than 500 sf at a time. Allow water to absorb for approximately 5 minutes and repeat misting process three to four times, each time gradually adding more volume of water.
- In one of the joints, check the moisture depth in the sand with a screwdriver to see that it has penetrated to at least 1½” for pavers and 1 ¼” for natural stone. Replace sand and only apply additional misting if water hasn’t penetrated at least 1½” for pavers and 1 ¼” for natural stone. For optimal joint performance, be certain the entire sand column is fully saturated
- Any residual surface water caught in the texture of the pavers or natural stone should be blown off the surface with a leaf blower.
- Do not apply too much water too fast as to flood the pavement or erode sand from paver joints.
- Prior to applying Polysweep with natural stone, be sure the surface is free of any dust or stone residue by rinsing thoroughly with water. Then, make sure the natural stone and joints are completely dry prior to installing polymeric sand.
- Do not apply this product to any wet or damp surface because the polymeric sand will adhere to the surface and is difficult to remove.
- This product is not designed for vertical applications and is not a substitute for mortar on vertical or horizontal applications.
- Do not mix or dilute polymeric sand with any other product.
Concrete Overlay Additional Instructions:
When using PolySweep on concrete overlays (pavers/stones installed directly on concrete), a minimum of 1% slope to the concrete and a 1” layer of bedding sand on top of concrete is required. Do not allow water to be trapped in the system. Any water that enters the surface of concrete overlay applications must be allowed to escape the sand setting bed at the outside perimeter of the project. If pavers or stone are set directly on top of the concrete, drill 1” drainage holes thru the concrete with a coverage rate of 1 hole/sq. ft. Fill holes with open graded gravel and covered with geotextile (to keep polymeric sand from migrating into the holes). Drainage channels in lieu of holes in the concrete can also be installed. See ICPI for installation details.
PolySweep contains no portland cement. The curing process varies and could take up to 24 hours based on temperature and humidity level. Cool, damp and overcast conditions will increase PolySweep set up time.
PolySweep MUST BE STORED in a dry location protected from rain and moisture. Intact, covered pallets can be stored outdoors.
When using PolySweep with porcelain tile, follow the installation instructions for natural stone as posted here on our website or as listed in the product literature. Specifically, during the compaction step use a vibratory rubber roller or a rubber hammer and a piece of wood rather than a vibratory plate compactor.
Cohesive Strength is Paramount
If PolySweep (both regular and X-Treme Wide Joint PolySweep – here on out referred to as ‘PolySweep’) has been installed per SEK-Surebond instructions, and is proven to have a manufacturer defect, then SEK-Surebond will refund the Polysweep purchase price. SEK-Surebond will only be obligated for the refund of the PolySweep purchase price and will not be responsible/liable for any other costs. Proof of purchase is required for any claim. SEK-Surebond specifically excludes any implied warranty for Polysweep product that is used on projects that do not meet manufacturer’s recommended application types and installation protocol for PolySweep. SEK-Surebond has no control over sub-surface conditions, base preparation, surface and weather conditions at the time of installation, therefore joint and pavement system performance cannot be guaranteed. SEK-Surebond recommends the user install a test area first to determine that this product is suitable for their project.
Can Polysweep be used with Porcelain Tile?
Yes. Polysweep is compatible with almost all types of hardscape surfaces. See PolySweep literature or packaging for more information.
How long does it take Polysweep to cure?
After water activation, Poly sweep will start to be firm within a few hours but not fully cured for 12 to 24 hours depending on weather.
How wide of a joint will Polysweep fill?
Regular Polysweep with perform best in a joint of ¾” or smaller and Polysweep X-Treme with work in joints 4” or less.
What colors is Polysweep available in?
Polysweep and Polysweep X-Treme is available in Tan, Gray, and the new Platinum.
Will the color wash out onto my patio?
No. The colors in Polysweep are the natural pigments of the aggregate with no dyes or stains added.